Jaypee University Anoopshahr
PROFILE OF SHRI JAIPRAKASH GAUR
Shri Jaiprakash Gaur, the Founder Chairman of the Jaypee Group was born in 1931 in a small village named Chitta (Bulandshahar) in Uttar Pradesh. After completing his early education at various schools in small towns of Uttar Pradesh, he joined Thompson College of Engineering in 1948 and acquired a Diploma in Civil Engineering in 1950 (The College had been converted into the University of Roorkee, now called Indian Institute of Technology). In the same year, Shri Gaur joined the Irrigation Department of Uttar Pradesh and worked there for 7 years. The experience gained during this period convinced Shri Gaur that if major construction projects, particularly River-Valley and Hydropower projects could be undertaken efficiently with regard to quality, technology, time and cost, this would act as catalyst in building India’s much needed infrastructure. This conviction resulted in a birth of a new dynamic enterprise with a small capital of Rs. 10,000/- but with a steadfast determination to contribute to nation building.
In last 50 years the entrepreneurial vision of Shri Jaiprakash Gaur witnessed the execution of India’s largest Dams & Hydropower Projects:
- Sardar Sarovar Dam -India’s largest dam with 7.2 million cum of chilled concrete, larger by 75% in terms of volume than “Bhakra Nangal Dam”
- Tehri Rockfill Dam -Asia’s largest Rockfill Dam
- Nathpa Jhakri (Power House) – The largest underground Power House in India.
At one stage, the group companies had the distinction of simultaneously executing 13 Hydropower project in six states and neighbouring country Bhutan for generating more than 10,000 MW of Hydropower.
As a pioneer in private sector hydropower, the group has already commissioned three hydro-power projects generating 1700 MW (300 MW Baspa-II in Himachal Pradesh , 400 MW Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand and 1000 MW Karcham Wangtoo in Himachal Pradesh ). By 2016 the group will operationalise power plants generating about 14000 MW (6000 Hydro and 8000 Thermal).
In the early 80’s in order to achieve backward integration, a cement plant was established in District Rewa, Madhya Pradesh (M.P). Since then a series of cement plants, all over India, have been commissioned with a capacity of 35.40 MT making the Jaypee Group the third largest cement producer in the country.
Shri Jaiprakash Gaur firmly believes that growth and development of the country requires larger scale infrastructure development through construction of highways, power projects and telecommunication network. The group has constructed the Yamuna Expressway project – 165 km access controlled 6 lanes highway between Greater Noida and Agra.
A visionary entrepreneur, Shri Gaur recognised need for quality education. A non profit organisation – Jaiprakash Sewa Sanasthan (JSS) has established three centres of higher learning in Engineering and Information Technology: Jaypee Institute of Information Technology (JIIT), Noida (U.P); Jaypee University of Information Technology (JUIT), Solan (H.P); Jaypee Institute of Engineering and Technology (JIET), Guna (M.P).
JSS has set up Jaypee University at Anoopshahr, District Bulandshahr (UP) which is approved by Government of Uttar Pradesh. The first academic session will begin from July, 2014. The proposed student strength is 4000 in undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes. Courses available in all disciplines of Engineering, Science, Arts, Commerce , Management, Mass Communication & Media.
A firm believer in development with human face, Shri Gaur has also established 31 schools in backward districts of the country where over 30,000 students are enrolled.
A person, who had his company’s cable address as “IRONWILL”, way back in early sixties, Shri Gaur has come a long way working on the clarion call of the India’s first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru when he famously termed the Bhakra – Nangal Project as a temple of modern India. With an Annual turnover reaching an impressive Rs.20,000 crores more than 80,000 people of this group are working with dedication and passion at different locations of the country in varying degrees of challenges to meet the burgeoning need of power, irrigation, cement, highways, housing and hospitality.
Accolades and Awards
- Doctor of Science by Bundelkhand University in the year 1997 in recognition of his distinguished contribution in the field of Engineering and Technology.
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishavidyalaya (University of Technology of Madhya Pradesh) in the year 2005 in recognition of his distinguished contribution in the field of Technical Sciences.
- “Lifetime Achievement Award” by Builders’ Association of India in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Indian Construction Industry in 2005.
- “Udyog Ratna Award” by PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry in recognition of his contribution to Economic Development of the Madhya Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir & Uttaranchal States.
- “Entrepreneur of Year Award” for his exceptional contribution in Infrastructure & Construction sector by Ernst & Young in 2008.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Honoris Causa) by Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee in the year 2009.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award by Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee in the year 2009.
- He has been bestowed with the Highest Civilian Honour of Bhutan (DRUK KHORLO) by the King of Bhutan during his audience with him on 24-Dec-09. This also happens to be the First Award given by the 5th King to a civilian, apart from our Hon’ble Prime Minister, Sh Manmohan Singh Ji, which was given in this visit also. With this Award he will always get a VVIP status in Bhutan.
His Excellency, the President of India had nominated Shri Jaiprakash Gaur as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee with effect from 24th May, 05 for a period of 3 years. Shri Gaur was once again appointed Chairman of IIT, Roorkee for another tenure of 3 years from 24th May, 2008 and after serving for 8 months he stepped down from the Chairmanship in February, 2009.